Saturday, January 30, 2010

The art of doing nothing.

As a firm believer of the phrase “every moment counts”, I try and cram as much activity into my day as possible. For the past five years study, work, friends, leisure and family have been haphazardly shoved together in the chaos that is my life.

This summer I resolved to try something new. A whole three months of no working or studying, but just….chilling. Sleep-ins and naps were permitted. Evening walks, long breakfasts and reading in the shade were encouraged. That’s not to say that I was idle – I tried new recipes, threw a garden party, painted, embroidered, taught and played music for pleasure. And I loved it. The brilliance of a sunset, the melody of a bird’s song and the stillness of an early morning could be admired wholeheartedly. In making myself available to enjoy His creation, I felt like I was being rewarded.


{Photo taken on our trip to Mahia, 2008}

No comments:

Post a Comment